Clopton Hospital description

Home
Written Accounts
Photographs
Maps
Hospitals
Prisons
Other Sites
Events
Search
Links

Back • Next

 

From the inside cover of the Clopton Hospital register – this page serves as a preface to the register.

REGISTER OF CLOPTON HOSPITAL

Franklin St. 4th house from
Corner of 4th & Franklin Sts.
Richmond, Va.
 

On Wednesday 28 May 1862 the sick soldiers at Ashland were brought to Richmond and Capt Jackson Warner opened his house on Franklin Street between 3rd & 4th and one between 4th & 5th and placed 270 men in them, where they remained until Saturday morning 31st when by order of Genl Winder they were transferred to the St. Charles Hospital. Since the 31st of May the following patients have been received and treated at the Hospital.  

Dr. H. A. Tatum appointed the Surgeon
Mr. Brock – Steward
Dr. P. Brown has kindly given gratuitous advice and very efficiently aided in the organization of the Hospital.

                                                [signed]Maria G. Clopton

 

Dr. H. A. Tatum of the City of Richmond on the 1st June was appointed Surgeon in charge & named the Hospital “Clopton Hospital” in complement to Mrs. Judge Clopton who had taken the general superintendence of it –

Mr, A. Brock of the city of Richmond was appointed Steward May 31.

On August the 14th 1862 Dr. R. M. Patterson of South ___ was appointed Assist. Surgeon.

 

From the Eleanor S. Brockenbrough Library, Museum of the Confederacy, Richmond VA

 

Page last updated on 06/14/2008