Engineer Bureau Hospital

Written Accounts
Other Sites

Back • Next


 :: Engineer Bureau Hospital ::
Information about the Engineer Bureau Hospital in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.

A hospital for slaves working for the Engineer Bureau on the fortifications around Richmond. Open in late 1862 and apparently on Cary street, between 18th and 19th.

Richmond Enquirer 8/27/1862; great description of the Engineer Bureau Hospital on the corner of 18th and Cary street (used for laborers on the fortifications)
Richmond Dispatch 9/23/1862; Dr. R. S. Vest, Surgeon in Charge at Engineer Bureau Hospital, corner 19th and Cary. Seeks steward to superintend hospital. Office is #14 Law building, Franklin
Richmond Examiner 11/10/1862; Engineer Bureau Hospital described
RG 109, Ch. 6, Vol. 7, no page 9/28/1863; Medical Director's Office has been moved to "new government building" at 10th and Broad; wayside hospital has been transferred to the Engineer bureau - henceforth General Hospital #9 will be known as the Receiving and Way Hospital

Page last updated on 06/14/2008