Information about General Hospital #16 in Richmond, VA during
the Civil War.
Also called: First Georgia Hospital. Formerly tobacco factory of John E.
Whitlock and Company. Destroyed in evacuation fire. Opened before June 1862.
Report of 7 June 1862 lists 66 patients, but capacity was over 130. Location:
westside of 21st
Street; between Main and Cary Streets. (from Confederate Military
Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22
Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)
9/1862 - 7/1863; Statistics of General Hospital
#16 - hospital closed after July, 1863
In the National Archives:
Record Group 109, (ch. VI, vol. 711). 2 in.
Morning Reports of Patients and Attendants,
General Hospitals No. 1-4, 7-8, 12-20, 22-23, and 25-27. 1862-65. 1 vol.Daily reports showing the number of patients in hospital, in private
quarters, received, returned to duty, transferred, furloughed, deserted,
discharged, died, and remaining; the number of medical officers, stewards,
nurses, cooks, and laundresses present for duty; and remarks. Arranged by
hospital number, thereunder chronologically, and thereunder by State of
patient's organization. The dates given are inclusive; not all hospitals
have reports for all dates.