Information about General Hospital #25 in Richmond, VA during
the Civil War.
Also called: Randolph’s Hospital. Open as early as March 1862 and as late as
July 1863. Capacity about 225, employees 25, in March 1863. Union Prisoners at
times. Location: center of block south of Main Street, between Pear and Peach
Streets. (from Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by
Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial
committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)
Irishmen from Camp Lee jailed for drunken fight, including Barney McNunn and
Jno. Brennan; man charged with keeping disorderly house near Dr.
Higginbotham’s Hospital – brawling with wife, etc.
Council: discusses CSA smallpox hospital, now near corner 25th & Cary; 798
kegs of powder in city magazine; sells settees from Mechanics’ Hall to
Govt., for use of patients at Chimborazo Hospital
9/21/1863; list of hospitals in Richmond and to
which hospitals soldiers from the various states are sent
of General Hospital #25 from across the river.
In the National Archives:
Record Group 109, (ch. VI, vol. 711). 2 in.
Morning Reports of Patients and Attendants,
General Hospitals No. 1-4, 7-8, 12-20, 22-23, and 25-27. 1862-65. 1 vol.
Daily reports showing the number of patients in hospital, in private
quarters, received, returned to duty, transferred, furloughed, deserted,
discharged, died, and remaining; the number of medical officers, stewards,
nurses, cooks, and laundresses present for duty; and remarks. Arranged by
hospital number, thereunder chronologically, and thereunder by State of
patient's organization. The dates given are inclusive; not all hospitals
have reports for all dates.