Information about Stuart Hospital in Richmond, VA during
the Civil War.
Also called: Old Fair Grounds Hospital, Fort Stuart Hospital, Barracks
Hospital. It occupied the ground now within the limits of the municipal-owned
Monroe Park, though at that time the grounds extended north to Broad Street. The
present boundaries are Franklin, Main, Laurel, and Belvidere Streets. Up to 1859
had been the State Fair Grounds which were moved to Hermitage. Used as a drill
and assembly ground from the early days of the War under various names. Later in
the War was the home camp of City Guard. Became Stuart Hospital 2 June 1864 by
converting City Guard barracks. Had 16 buildings. Employees listed as 124 in
1864. Treatment hospital with beds for about 500. Named for General J. E. B.
Stuart. Dr. S. Meredith, surgeon-in-charge; later, Dr. R. A. Lewis. Taken over
by Federal occupation forces and operated as: Post Hospital 13 April-3 August
1865; General Hospital 4 August-1 December 1865; post Hospital 2 December-31
December 1865 under the name of Camp Winthrop. Dr. William H. Palmer,
surgeon-in-charge. (from Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond
by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial
committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)
6/2/1864; note to GH#9 stating that
Stuart Hospital (capacity 400) has been opened as a receiving hospital for
soldiers arriving via the RF&P RR. GH#9 is directed to send of excess
patients to Danville
6/27/1864; the washing at Stuart Hospital is to
be done at Chimborazo Hospital, which apparently has its own facilities -
the purpose of this is, as Carrington says, to dispense with "negro wenches"
(laundresses) at the hospital
4/13/1865; excellent letter from Richmond
describing the Federal occupation of Richmond, mentions Tredegar, former
slaves, Rocketts, former rebel hospitals (Chimborazo, Jackson, Stuart) - All
patients now at Jackson, Stuart Hospital is now a US Post Hospital.
Dahlgren's body found and is being returned to Washington. Castle Thunder
and Libby Prison are now holding Confederates. Also notes veneration of
Robert E. Lee in Richmond
4/25/1865; Official directory of US officials
In the National Archives
Record Group 109,
(ch. VI, vol. 662). 1/2 in.
Register of Patients, Stuart Hospital. 1864-65. 1
vol.Shows patient's number, name, rank, organization, and
disease; date admitted; disposition of case; and remarks. Entries are
Record Group 109,
(ch. VI, vol. 715). 1 in.
Morning Reports of Patients and Attendants,
Stuart Hospital. 1864-65. 1 vol.Daily reports showing the number of
patients in hospital, in private quarters, received, returned to duty,
transferred, furloughed, discharged, deserted, died, and remaining in
hospital; the number of medical officers and attendants present for duty;
and remarks. Arranged chronologically and thereunder by State of patient's