Mechanics' Institute

Written Accounts
Other Sites

Back • Next


 :: Mechanics' Institute ::
Information about the Mechanics' Institute in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.

located on Ninth street, facing the intersection of 9th and Bank street, this building served a variety of purposes, but for most of the war, served as the headquarters for the Confederate War and Navy Departments. During the early part of the war, R. E. Lee had his office here. The building did not survive the evacuation fire.

Richmond Dispatch

10/30/1860; nice description of the Mechanics’ Institute Fair and its attractions

Richmond Dispatch 10/31/1860; diamond ring, old coin, and embroidered skirt stolen from the Mechanics’ Institute fair
Richmond Dispatch 10/31/1860; the Mechanics’ Institute fair will close today
Richmond Dispatch

11/2/1860; paragraph about the Steam fire engine that was exhibited at the Mechanics’ Institute, now property of the city

Richmond Dispatch 4/15/1861; Mechanics' Institute was "splendidly illuminated" last night
Richmond Dispatch 5/29/1861; ladies of the Monumental Church are doing work for the soldiers in the Mechanics' Institute
Richmond Dispatch 5/29/1861; Richmond Home Artillery will meet tonight at the Mechanics' Institute
Richmond Dispatch 6/10/1861; Mechanics' Institute is being cleared out; the War Department and Patent Office will soon have their offices here
Richmond Dispatch 3/13/1862; Major John C. Porter Provost Marshal of the City, with Godwin commanding eastern half and John C. Maynard the western half; Passport office to 9th & Broad & Winder to house on 9th beside Mechanics’ Institute
Richmond Dispatch 11/28/1862; “DeLeon” at Mechanics Hall adv for box stolen from RR depot
Richmond Dispatch 12/18/1862; J. B. Jones, War Dept., adv for boarding for lady & three children, near an Episcopal Church
Richmond Dispatch 6/30/1894; great description of Richmond for the Confederate reunion, focusing on how much has changed since the war
Richmond Dispatch 7/1/1862; C. S. Cavalry escorting POWS on 6/29 brings 3 flags: U.S., N. J. State flag, & Massachusetts regimental flag. Deposited in War Office.
Richmond Dispatch 11/26/1862; City council minutes: quarter ending 10/31/1862 at Shockoe – 291 white males, total interned – 384, plus 189 negroes; basement of Mechanics’ Hall crowded by storage of 100 benches owned by the city
Richmond Sentinel 8/31/1864; shell explodes in a foundry in rear of the War Department building (Mechanics' Institute)
National Tribune 7/27/1899; "A Union Man in Richmond;" description of sentiment in Richmond leading up to secession; John Minor Botts' speech at the African Church, and the Secession Convention in the Mechanics' Institute.

Page last updated on 07/11/2008