Smith Factory Prison

Written Accounts
Other Sites

Back • Next


 :: Smith Factory Prison ::
Information about Smith Factory Prison in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.

Probably the same as General Hospital #17. Also called: Fourth Georgia Hospital. Formerly tobacco factory of Smith and McCurdey. Destroyed in evacuation fire. Opened 19 May 1862. Report of 7 June 1862 lists 86 patients, but capacity was over 125. Location: westside of 21st Street, between Main and Cary Streets, about mid-block, just north of General Hospital #16. (from Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)

Richmond Dispatch 10/17/1861; Washerwomen needed at the Georgia hospitals - apply to Smith's Factory, 21st street
Richmond Dispatch 7/1/1862; "Libby buildings" are insufficient to hold the influx of Union prisoners - new prison being fitted up on 18th street (probably Smith's)
Richmond Daily Dispatch 7/5/1862; Federal officers moved from Libby to Smith & McCurdy's warehouse
Richmond Dispatch 8/15/1862; “McCurdy’s Building” is opposite “Hardgrove’s factory.”
Official Records, Ser. II, Vol. VI, pp. 852-853 11/10/1863 - 1/18/1864; statement of clothing issued to prisoners in Richmond.
Official Records, Ser. II, Vol. VI, pp. 544-548 11/18/1863; report of number of prisoners in Richmond as well as provisions issued to prisoners
Richmond Sentinel 1/2/1864; 500 prisoners from "McCurdy's tobacco factory" have been removed to Belle Isle
Richmond Enquirer 3/23/1865; details on recruitment of black troops and call for volunteers; rendezvous for negro troops is at Smith's factory, 21st street. T. P. Turner (Libby Prison) is one of the officers
Richmond Whig 4/4/1865; excellent account of the evacuation and burning of Richmond; mentions Smith's factory, "on 21st street" burning

Page last updated on 02/12/2008