From the Richmond Dispatch, 9/12/1861
The Georgia Hospital. – A society has been formed in
Georgia for the establishments in this city of a hospital for the relief of sick
and wounded Georgia soldiers. A Board of Managers resident in this city has been
elected, composed of the following gentlemen: Hon. Alexander H. Stephens,
Vice-President of the Confederate States, Chairman; Dr. Henry F. Campbell,
Physician of the Hospital, Vice-Chairman; Hon. Wm. M. Browne, Assistant
Secretary of State; Hon. Phillip Clayton, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury;
Wm. H. Pritchard and C. A. Smith, Esqs.
Large buildings on 21st street have been rented
for the above benevolent purpose, capable of accommodating six or seven hundred
patients, and arrangements are made to rent additional accommodation should the
The establishment is under the medical direction of Dr. H.
F. Campbell, and steps are being taken to secure the services of a number of
efficient horses, cooks, and other attendants.
last updated on