From Richmond Dispatch, 5/21/1861, p. 2
Right” – The First Regiment
of Tennessee Volunteers arrived in Richmond, by the Danville cars, about 10
o’clock Sunday night, and marched from the depot immediately to their camp,
which had been established southeast of Howard’s Grove, near the “Black
Pond.” The regiment, which numbers 1,000 men, are composed of citizens of
Coffee, Grundy, Lincoln, and Franklin counties. They are all stout, able-bodied
men, capable of doing their part of the work which has been carved out for them
by Lincoln and his pestiferous adjuncts. The regiment embraces ten companies,
making an aggregate of 1,000 men. The staff and company officers are as follows:
Col., Turney; Lieut. Col., Holman; Major, W. D. Holeman; Adjutant, J. W. Custer;
W. G. Brooks, Commissary; Capts. A. E. Patten, Ramsey, J. E. Bennett, Jos.
Holden, Salmons, Clement Arledge, W. L. Simpson, Davis, Jacob Cruse, Miller
The Second Regiment of Volunteers were on their way, and expected at 10˝
o’clock last night by the same road. They number 1,000 men.
last updated on