Richmond Dispatch, 11/4/1862

Written Accounts
Other Sites

Back • Next


From the Richmond Dispatch, 11/4/1862, p. 1, c. 4

Mayor's Court, Monday, November 3.—Wm. E Jones, a Welshman, and member of the 6th South Carolina regiment, was brought up for examination on the charge of shooting and killing H. Snow, of the 10th Louisiana, Sunday evening about 4 o'clock, on Broad street, near the corner of Brook Avenue. The circumstance attending the affair, as appeared by the testimony of a number of witnesses, were as follows: Jones, being under marching orders, had obtained leave of absence from Camp Lee to visit the city. He had gotten nearly to Mr. Kelley's blacksmith shop, on the corner of Marshall street and Brook Avenue, when he had occasion to pass a grogery kept by a woman named Mary Stephens. In front of this place (which was open) was a large crowd of idle, dissolute, and half drunken men some soldiers and some civilians. Some one of the party stepped in front of Jones, and, with his hand drawn up claw-fashion, grabbed at his which was torn considerably on the right side by the finger-nails of his assailant. His expression of anger on the occasion were treated as good [illegible]. He finally got into the Avenue, and was hastening away from the scene of the encounter, when Snow and his companion started for the purpose of beating him. Seeing them coming, as the witnesses said, he retreated to the line of the railroad, and called out that he knew the crowd, and that they could not safely further molest him.—The resolution of Snow's companion seemed to have failed him here, on seeing the two revolvers which Jones had drawn. Snow however kept on or near the sidewalk, endeavoring to get a chance at his opponent, who meanwhile, continued his course down the street on the railroad track. After getting down about three squares, Snow ran behind a carriage standing on the sidewalk, and Jones, deeming this an offensive demonstration discharged his pistol at him, without effect. Snow thereupon immediately advanced on him, when Jones discharged two more shots—one with his right and the other with his left hand. Snow continuing to advance, he discharged another ball at him at the distance of seven yards, which took effect in the side and caused Snow to sink exhausted on the sidewalk, whence he was removed to the Louisiana Hospital, where he died during the night. After the last shot Jones went up on the steps of a neighboring house, where he was captured by two citizens and handed over to the police, and lodged in the 2d station house. The Mayor said the accused had not committed a murder; on the contrary he was inclined to regard the act justifiable homicide. Jones was sent on for examination next Saturday before a called Court of Hustings, for killing Snow, and admitted to bail in the sum of $500 for his appearance.

Edward C. Rice, a man in uniform, and professing to belong to Captain Louis J. Bossieux’s company, was fined $10, and required to give security in the sum of $500, for breaking a tray of dishes on a negro woman's head in the street, and after wards slapping her in the face.

[remainder of cases not transcribed]


Page last updated on 03/18/2008