From the Richmond Enquirer, 5/24/1864
THE HOSPITALS FOR THE ACCOMMODATION OF THE YANKEE WOUNDED IN RICHMOND are
locates on the corner of 25th and Cary streets, and originally
comprised two buildings known as Taylor’s and Mayo’s factories, one capable
of accommodating about 350, the other about 250 patients. In consequence of the
influx of wounded Federals, it was found necessary, on Sunday, to open
Rosser’s factory, on Main street. On yesterday, Turpin and Yarborough’s
factory, on the corner of 25th and Franklin, was also opened to
accommodate the increased number arriving. Rosser’s will contain about 400,
and the latter about 250. There are in all of these hospitals, at present, about
800 patients, the number daily increasing. Such is the serious character of the
wounds of most of the patients, that on Saturday there were twenty four capital
operations. The attendance is of the best kind and the cleanliness of the
premises a noticeable feature. The Yankees have all that they desire and more
than they deserve. The surgical attendance is of the highest order. The
following is a list of the surgeons in charge: Surgeon G. W. Semple, of Hampton,
Va., Chief; Surgeon Thomas Eliason, O. F. Baxter, and Assistant Surgeon D. M.
Clarke, in charge of Libby prison Officers’ Hospital, S. P. Christian, J. T.
Ferguson, Wm. H. Gibbs, and E. P. Gibbons. Mr. J. V. Hopkins is Commissary
Steward, and a look at his well filled larder, will convince any one that the
Yankees don’t suffer.
last updated on