From the Richmond Examiner, 12/2/1861

NEW HOSPITALS ESTABLISHED. The Government has hired the two capacious tobacco factories owned by Wm. H. and James H. Grant, on and near the corner of 19th and Franklin streets, and they are now being fitted up for the accommodation of sick and disabled Confederate soldiers. Being very large buildings their holding capacity must extend to the comfortable housing of five hundred patients each. The fact that such extensive manufacturers of the weed are thus voluntarily depriving themselves of facilities for carrying on the trade shows that very little will be done in that branch of business in 1862. The farmer heretofore engaged in raising tobacco will no doubt raise cereals instead.

 

Page last updated on 07/24/2009